Mental health care is as important as physical health care. In other words, our mental health deserve all the necessary attention just like our physical health. We stand to gain a lot if our mental health is given the due care. Good care towards mental health bring a wide range of benefits. Some of these benefits include bBetter overall health, increased productivity, improved relationships, increased resilience, and enhanced enjoyment of life.
Conversely, if we don’t take care for our mental health there are obvious adverse consequences. Some of the negative effects of poor mental health attention include worsening of mental health symptoms, difficulty functioning in daily life, increased risk of physical health problems, increased risk of substance abuse, and decreased quality of life. In order to avoid these adverse consequences, it is crucial we pay attention to improving our mental health.
Improving our mental health involves combination of self-care and seeking support from others.
Steps To Improve Mental Health
Below are some steps that can be taken to improve our mental health:
- Practice self-care: Maintaining good mental health requires that you look after your physical, emotional, and mental needs. This could involve doing regular physical exercise, eating a nutritious diet, getting enough rest, and engaging in pleasant hobbies. You should ensure nothing interferes with your mental health care. For instance, the time you are supposed to relax shouldn’t be in any way compromised by other people’s attention. Regardless of the surrounding pressure, you need to take care of your mental health. Doing so does not imply that you are selfish. Just remember that taking care of yourself is not being selfish, but self-care.
- Seek support: It’s important to have a support system of friends, family, and other trusted individuals who can provide emotional and social supports. Emotional and social supports forms significant components of Bio-Psychosocial Model of mental health. Seeking support goes a long way in building resilience and courage. When you undergo pressure and challenges of life and you seek support you releases Oxytocin. Oxytocin is a neuro and stress hormone that nudges you to seek support in times of challenges and adversity. The more you releases this hormone the more you build a biology of courage and resilience. Seeking help from a mental health professional when you’re struggling with a specific mental health issue is equally significant.
- Find healthy ways to cope with stress: It’s normal to feel stressed from time to time, but it’s important to find healthy ways to cope with stress to prevent it from impacting your mental health. This could include activities that ensure your proper mental health care, such as deep breathing, meditation, or physical activity.
- Practice mindfulness: Being mindful means paying attention to the present moment and your thoughts and feelings without judgment. Practicing mindfulness can help you better manage stress and improve your overall well-being.
- Seek help if you need it: If you’re struggling with a specific mental health issue and you’re finding it hard to manage on your own, it’s important to seek help from a mental health professional. They can provide you with the support and guidance you need to improve your mental health.
Remember, improving your mental state and stability is a function of your the attention you give to your health care. This takes a process and it may take time to see progress. Be patient with yourself and try to focus on the small victories along the way.
- MedlinePlus | How To Improve Mental Health.
- Mind Engrave Africa | How To Look Aftter Your Mental Health.