US extends non-immigrant visa for Nigerians, others to 48 months, lists requirements to qualify
The United States of America Mission has expanded the eligibility period for non-immigrant visa renewals from 24 months to 48 months. This was disclosed by the mission in a press statement on Friday, November 25, 2022.
According to the mission, applicants whose previous US visa expired within the last 48 months or will expire in the next three months may now qualify to renew their visa without an interview.
“The US Mission is also opening thousands of visa renewal appointments to assist applicants who wish to renew their visas.”
However, the statement said no interview visa renewal appointments were available now.
You may be eligible for a visa renewal without an interview if your application is for a B1/B2, F, M, J (academic only), H, L or C1/D (combined only) visa, AND you meet each of the following criteria:
- Your previous visa was issued in Nigeria. Your previous visa is in the same classification as your current application.
- Your previous visa was a full validity, multiple entry visas. Your previous visa expired within the last 48 months or will expire in the next 3 months from the date of application.
- You have all your passports covering the entire period since receiving the previous visa and the passport with the most recent visa.
- You have never been arrested or convicted of any crime or offence in the United States, even if you later received a waiver or pardon.
- You have never worked without authorisation or remained beyond your permitted time in the United States.
The mission recommended that affected people visit https://ng.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/ for further information.
If you are qualified based on the above criteria, visit https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng to start your application.
Please note that processing times for the program are expected to be up to two months and you will not be able to retrieve your passport during that time.
Each applicant must individually meet the criteria; minors can apply without an interview only if they meet the eligibility criteria on their own.
Special Note: Third parties unaffiliated with US Embassy, Abuja, and Consulate General Lagos may seek to take advantage of various visa services to target visa applicants with fraudulent offers or claims.
Applicants should fill out their own forms and make their appointments themselves via the official websites.
As future opportunities for Interview Waiver appointments become available, they will be communicated via our website”, the statement added.